Once you realize it is time for you to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you are already on your way toward achieving it. However, it is helpful if you reach out to your parents, peers or teachers to find a support system where you have access to accurate information and safe ways for you to lose the weight that will make you healthier, fit and happy as you grow into a mature adult.
Between your parents, information you can find on the Internet, and perhaps even a licensed dietitian, you have many resources at your disposal to help you make the best choices for your body so you can begin to lose weight. Before you begin, though, it might help you to find what is best for you. Many teens and young adults are considering committing to attending a weight loss camp to help them reach their healthy weight to live their lives to the fullest. If you are considering attending such a camp, you might want to ask yourself some important questions that will help you understand whether someplace like Wellspring will help you.
Consider some of the following questions and answer them honestly so you make sure you make the best use of your time and your resources.
- Have you tried other ways of losing weight but failed to keep the pounds off long-term? If this is the case for you, you are not alone. The reason this happens so often is that young people–and anyone trying to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle–don’t actually look at the need for weight loss as a lifestyle change. Instead, it is easier to look at it is a temporary inconvenience and, once you lose the weight, you can resume the lifestyle that got you there. With a weight loss camp like Wellspring, you will learn how to change the way you look at food, nutrition, exercise and your overall well-being.
- Do you have a significant amount of weight to lose? Again, you are not alone if this is the case. It is important to start your weight loss process honestly, so you stay realistic before you arrive at the camp and throughout your efforts to achieve a healthy lifestyle you can maintain. At the camp, you will find peers who have far less or far more weight to lose, so you need to remember that your stay is about you and that you can reach a healthy weight.
- Are you ready to make real lifestyle changes in exchange for improved health and fitness? Long-term weight loss success requires you to commit to the process and understand that your challenges don’t end when you leave the camp. In many ways, the bigger challenges will only begin at that point since you won’t have a constant support system, and you will face temptations.
- Would other family members support your decision to attend a Wellspring Camps program?
Family support is crucial for young people who attend weight loss camps like Wellspring. Again, you will face many challenges once you return home, and you need to know your family will help you through it. It is also important that your family is willing to let you spend time at a weight loss camp.
- Are you willing to try new activities?
Everything from weight training, biking, swimming and hiking are just starting points for activities with Wellspring. Depending on the location you attend, you can experience activities such as snorkeling, rafting, windsurfing, surfing, kayaking, obstacle courses and much more. The more you try, the more likely you are to finding something you will love doing consistently to help keep you fit and healthy to support your good eating habits.
Once you answer these questions and talk it over with your family, you might just find that a visit to Wellspring will help you meet and maybe even surpass your goals.