Since their invention in 1945 and the introduction of compact countertop models in 1967, microwave ovens have grown to become staple appliances in most kitchens. As a busy mom, college student or someone who just loves convenience, microwavable meals and snacks have become a welcome option to you.
At Wellspring weight loss camp, we prepare a variety of tasty, healthy meals and snacks. You, too, can prepare an array of healthy recipes that taste delicious and can be prepared in the microwave.
Egg White Stacker Sandwich
Enjoy this treat morning, noon or night. It’s easy to customize based on your taste preferences, and you can also multiply the recipe to feed a crowd.
- Pour six tablespoons of carton egg whites into a microwave-safe bowl and cook for one minute.
- Toast a low-fat or low-carb piece of bread, bagel or English muffin and top with a slice of fat-free cheese.
- Top the bread with the cooked egg white, then add spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions or other veggies, or warm turkey bacon.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, hot sauce or spices to taste.
Loaded Sweet Potato
Perfect by itself or paired with a sandwich, a loaded sweet potato cooks up in mere minutes. You’ll want to always stock a few in your pantry.
1. Place a medium sweet potato in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with plastic wrap.
2. Microwave the potato for four to six minutes or until it’s easy to pierce with a fork.
3. Cut open the potato and place one teaspoon of coconut oil or butter on top. You can also add sliced up turkey bacon bits, chopped lean chicken, marshmallows, low fat Greek yogurt or spices like cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
Curb your cravings for fast-food burritos when you cook them in the microwave at home. A variety of healthy toppings lets you customize this tasty favorite.
1. Place a 10-inch whole wheat or low-carb burrito on a microwave safe plate. Cover it with 1/2-cup fat-free cheddar, Muenster, Monterey Jack or other shredded cheese, and microwave until the cheese melts.
2. Additional toppings could include:
- Diced tomatoes
- Green chilies
- Chopped onions
- 1/4-cup fat-free refried or black beans
- 1/-4 cup corn
- Three ounces grilled chicken breast or cooked ground turkey or hamburger
- Small dollop of fat-free sour cream
In addition to these recipes, try a few other microwavable combinations as you prepare flavorful and easy meals for yourself, your family and guests.
1. Combine 1/2-cup of old-fashioned oats, a cup of almond milk or water, cinnamon and sweetener in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for two minutes, toss in a handful of fresh blueberries and enjoy.
2. On a microwave safe dish, prepare fat-free hot dogs, then top them with onions and sugar-free relish, mustard or ketchup.
3. Microwave veggies and sprinkle them with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and bacon pieces or cooked chicken.
Are you ready for healthy eating? Fire up the microwave and prepare a variety of delicious, healthy and easy meals that are perfect for any occasion.